Saturday, June 19, 2010

One Month Later: The Things I Miss about Freiburg

The Least:

Dryers that never dried my clothes
Wearing clothes that didn't fit quite right after hang-drying all semester long
The badly designed laundry card system in my creepy-as-hell laundry room
No free water in restaurants
Paying for public restrooms
Germans' inability to form lines
Clothing stores that were generally too expensive
Customer service that was often very poor
Getting shot down while trying to speak German
Everything being closed on Sundays

The Most:

Being able to walk everywhere
Being able to bike EVERYWHERE
Great public transportation for lazy days
The eco-friendly lifestyle
The view of and proximity to the Schwarzwald
How beautiful the city was
Free entrance on students' nights at our favorite clubs
Bakeries on every street
Butterbrezeln
The national obsession with ice cream
The Münster and the Münstermarkt
Living the student life in a university town
Seepark
Paying with coins
Wurst for two euros
Fasnacht
The German language, both speaking it and getting utterly defeated by it
Historic architecture (even if it did have to be rebuilt after the war)
Rothaus beer
O'Kelly's Pub and Das Quiz
"Gehen wir in die Mensa?" "Ja, wir gehen immer in die Mensa!"
Proximity to France and Switzerland
My flatmates
My IES friends
Moments that started like this:

And ended like this:


Even a month later, I still can't believe it's over.

1 comment:

  1. I bet sometimes it feels like it was all a dream. Perhaps you'll live there again one day? I can hear "the hills are alive....." when I look at the 2nd picture!
    Love you, Liz. Ann

    ReplyDelete